A FOLLOW-UP SURVEY IN NOKON VILLAGE, NIP

The first project completed for the Newcrest Mining Tax Credit Scheme was a large water and sanitation project in Nokon village. The findings below is a sample of the follow-up survey conducted of 23 families, 1 year after the project intervention:

Open defecation (in the sea & bush) decreases from 74% to 0%

Washing hands consistently after using toilet increases from 26% to 55%

Washing hands consistently before eating increases from 4% to 85%

Washing food before cooking or washing fruits and vegetables before eating increases from 13% to 90%

Throwing rubbish into the sea as a common practice decreases from 26% to 0%

Other common practices polluting the sea such as defecating, throwing babies’ faeces or disposable menstrual pads have also completely stopped

Diarrhoea cited as one of the last 3 sicknesses in the family decreases from 61% to 25%

100% of the families like the new toilets, describing them as ‘healthy, easy to wash and close to their homes’

100% of the families think the new toilets have improved their quality of life

100% of the families like the new water supply systems describing the water as ‘fresh, cold, healthy, close to their homes and easy to fetch’

95% of the families think the new water supply systems have improved their quality of life. Note that the other 5% claims that some families take ownership over the rain catchments and do not allow them to fetch water.

Overall a great result for the Nokon community, Newcrest Mining and ATprojects.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s